It's that time of year again.
What do I mean by this?
Spring travel for my job has started and that means I will be on the road at least twice a month. At this point, I pretty much have packing a suitcase, eating quickly, and driving fast (but not too fast) down to a science. Being on the road has its perks but it also has its downsides. Who wants to live out of a suitcase, not be able to cook their own food, and essentially, always be in a rental car? No one. However, perks about being on the road include the ability to travel and be in places that most people will never see. Working in Long Island and NYC is intense and exhausting but if I think about it deeply, both locations are places that thousands of people want to visit and maybe have once or twice in their entire lives; I visit both locations at least eight times a year, sometimes for extended amounts of time.
Being in an over-populated and heavily congested city requires one important ability though and that is to maintain a positive frame-of-mind...without this, being in both locations can quickly become a negative experience where escaping to a calmer location is the only goal. I have found that if I do not embrace my travels, I start to loathe being in a city environment and not all cities do this to me - in particular NYC and parts of Long Island do though.
Despite the fact that I have totally over-analyzed traveling to a large city, I found that my last visit (a few days ago) to LI and NYC was pretty enjoyable. It does help that one of my closest friends lives in Brooklyn and that I have found the few, cool reasons to embrace the diversity of LI.
With that being said, only four more trips to both locations are ahead of me...
Only in a big city can you sing for a crowd at the drop of a hat!
ReplyDelete